Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Singleness and the Imago Dei

In my last post, I pointed out the possible virtues of an "image of God"-oriented view of marriage. Here, I will attempt to apply the same concept to the issue of singleness. Being a confirmed singleton, myself, I have considered this very carefully and found the idea both glorious and freeing, as well as challenging.

I, like many singletons I know, would rather like to be married and have a family someday. But being 27 with no apparent prospects, "someday" often seems less like possibility and more like wishful thinking (i.e. Someday I'm going to be a rock star and make millions of dollars and never have to work again). Inevitably, the question plagues me of how to balance the hope for Relationship Future with the reality of No Relationship Present. Should I become a Lady in Waiting? (Pause for gag reflex recovery) Should I consider marriage the greatest blessing in this life and pursue it with wholehearted abandon? Or should I just hang it all up and become a bitter, angry spinster? Or maybe a non-Catholic nun, which sounds much more spiritual?

Really, all these options center around the idea of marriage as ultimate and represent various ways of coping with not participating in "the ultimate". But it is clear from Scripture itself, that marriage cannot be ultimate because a) it is merely a shadow of the reality of union with Christ and b) there is no marriage in heaven. But if we take the view that marriage is a way to express the image of God, then it takes its rightful place as a temporary human institution that is certainly good but not essential. In other words, those who do not have the opportunity to participate in marriage are not somehow "missing out" on either the blessing of God or even a deeper knowledge of God.

Now don't misunderstand me, I am not saying marriage does not bring a deeper understanding of God. I am saying that many a smug married has mistakenly implied that my understanding of God could not possibly be as deep as theirs because I have not experienced the refining process of marriage. But it would be just as easy for me to say the same in reverse to them because they have not had to sacrifice such a deeply held dream and still maintain a thriving relationship with the God who has withheld it. The reality is that God has much to teach each of us about being conformed to His image, and He chooses whatever means HE desires to bring about that conformity. I have started reading the book Hinds' Feet on High Places and was struck by this paragraph in the Preface:

It is God's will that some of his children should learn this deep union with
himself through the perfect flowering of natural human love in marriage. For
others it is equally his will that the same perfect union should be learned
through the experience of learning to lay down completely this natural and
instinctive desire for marriage and parenthood, and accept the circumstances of
life which deny them this experience. This instinct for love, so firmly
implanted in the human heart, is the supreme way by which we learn to desire and
love God himself above all else.


Every situation and circumstance in our lives as believers is designed by God to break down our foolish commitment to our own agendas and to restore in us the perfect image of God that practices the perfect will of God. This is how we learn to love God, by dying to self. For some that happens in the constant friction of two separate wills constantly butting up against one another in marriage. For others it is in the utter breakage of their earthly schemes of joy in marriage. Whatever the vehicle, the ultimate destination is the same.

So how does this affect our praxis? First of all, despite my usage of them, the terms singletons and smug marrieds really have no place in the discussion. We are brothers and sisters in Christ, regardless of our matrimonial status. Second, for those asked to bear the image without a partner, do not sell short your contribution to the people of God. In Christ we, as the church, bear the image of God in the ultimate corporate sense. Without each of us performing the duties and using the gifts given to us by God, the church would falter and fail. You are able to contribute in ways your married counterparts cannot. You are free to serve in ways they cannot. Your membership and role in the body of Christ is no more or less than theirs. Instead of bemoaning your single state, look for opportunities granted by it to serve our Lord and Savior! And if and when you continue to look for a marriage partner, remember that our truest relationships with each other are as brothers and sisters, not husbands and wives. There is no need for desperation, and no reason to view the opposite sex as objects to be pursued and acquired at all costs in order to make your life complete. You are complete in Christ, the perfect image of God. You are inextricably joined to the image of Christ in His church.
Finally, for those who have been asked to image Christ in marriage, do not look with pity on your single brothers and sisters. Do not foster marital idolatry in their hearts by presuming they are less than they could be or are somehow not experiencing the fullest blessings of God. Do not cajole them into endless set-ups with someone who is "just perfect for you!" Do not make false promises that they will "definitely get married someday". You do not know God's good and perfect plan for them. You do not know who is "perfect" for whom. Remember my previous post about how marriage is not a cure for loneliness? Keep that in mind in your relationships with your single friends. Live your marriage honestly before them (warts and all), but do not flaunt your physical relationship in front of them. Encourage them in their gifts; help them to see how God is using them exactly where they are to accomplish his purposes; and cherish the opportunity to glorify God by seeing what He is doing in the life of someone whose circumstances are so different from your own.
Ultimately, for all of us, the glory of the Imago Dei is that we are able fully to enjoy the diversity of the body of Christ, in both character and circumstance, as representative of the many facets of the character of God. We should always look for opportunities to encourage one another in whatever circumstances we find ourselves to image God more fully. We should relish the search for God's image in our brothers and sisters. And we should take seriously our responsibility--whether single or married--to be the image of God in the world. For it is this, not marriage or singleness, that is our purpose in life.

8 comments:

nic@nite said...

um. that was beautiful. i heart you. and that quote...i almost cried :)

Unknown said...

So, I'm loving what you are putting down here Gretchen. Glad we have discussed these things previously as I have greatly benefited from those conversations.
I've been thinking lately of the value of marital relations for the unmarried. I heard it said that "marriage is like a playground. It provides a safe environment for exploration and pleasure, but the boundaries (fence) keep us safe." My immediate question was, "what about the kids on the outside, peering through the chain links?"
I am still hesitant to say that there is 'no' value for the single, but it is clear that sex, specifically, is a means to building and sustaining a relationship and not the 'icing on the cake' nor is it like recess. I would go a step further and say that marriage is also not the answer to desire. There are creatures that live by instinct and desire, they are called animals. Humanity, however, denies self (read: desires of the flesh) in service of the Lord. Indeed, self-control is image-bearing. To be led around by our desires/instincts is to be less than human.
Keep up the good work sister!

Anonymous said...

well said lady. Hinds Feet once one of the first books I read as a Christian (back in high school) and still has a huge impact on me.

Unknown said...

You're funny. "Pause for gag reflex recovery."

Yeah, can you please tell people to stop assuming that just b/c we are unmarried, that we must be discontent? I'm told that I need to "get out there," or go to that "single's event"(ugh). I recently had someone say to me, "you're looking for a relationship, right?" Nope. I did not say that. "Hang in there. Singleness is so hard. I was there once too." What? or, "...that is the plight of singlehood." Plight? Is my situation in life so unfortunate?

I have my share of struggles of wanting to look to people for a sense of security. God is constantly working on me in that. God tells me that I am blessed when I make him my trust. But this does not come naturally for me. He'll work on this in me whether or not I have a spouse, b/c either way, I'm going to struggle.

Yes, I'm a happy single person. And from what I can tell, I'll be happy for a good while being single. (Yes, this is where some will assume that I am just denying how I really feel). But I would love to one day happen upon a guy who makes me want to be married. Sounds fun. If I ever find myself headed for marriage, I'd want my aim to be to love that guy incredibly well, rather than expecting or demanding that he fill my needs. That's too much of a burden to put on any person. And that is not love.

So when you stated so well here that our truest relationships with each other are as brothers and sisters and not as husbands and wives, it was super encouraging. That's how we're gonna be in heaven, right? Then the reality is, (at the risk of sounding cheesy) I am already rich and my life is abundant with many brothers and sisters to love right now. Now let's all go sing kum-ba-ya.

TarheelGirl said...

This is very well-said, Gretchen. I know you and I have discussed this many times, probably due to the fact that we both suffered through the days when Lady in Waiting was part of the gold standard of Christian dating books.

I appreciate hearing your thoughts in this form, where everything is spelled out. I know I have been encouraged from our discussions, and I have already seen other women be encouraged from reading this or hearing about our discussions.

The real question now is whether or not it's time for me to buy real flatware, wink wink.

Justin said...

Thanks for this post, Gretchen. A lot of people are getting mixed or unhelpful messages from the church on these matters, and your advice is both thoughtful and practical. It was especially helpful for me in my ministry work, as our church includes lots of single college students and post-college twentysomethings. This little essay encouraged me to be more thoughtful about the spoken and unspoken messages that Melissa and I are sending to these folks.

melpmoore said...

amen and amen. the church has swung the pendulum; in the medieval era, you attained sactification through becoming a nun or monk. now it's through marriage. but the problem with both scenarios, as you rightly point out, is that, as images of God, we are designed to glorify Him and learn to be like Him regardless of circumstances. beautifully said and much needed. Marriage on its own does not solve discontentment and it is not a super-highway to holiness.

i miss you!

liz said...

Again, great post! I have been reading a slew of 'singleness' blog posts lately and have been quite encouraged by their outcomes--I might just send this to my house mate! Especially thankful that you wrote the part about the endless set-ups! Amen and amen. Now, if we can only get parents to lay off with the all the grandchild expectations, there might be some peace!